10.23.2008

The Fine Art of Procrastinatoring

One of my favorite singers, Jamie Cullum, has a wonderful song aptly titled "Why Do Today What You Can Do Tomorrow":

Heaven sent, are days like these
Here with you, snoozing in the breeze
Tomorrow leads, today won't interest me
Today I'll be procrastinatory

There's a lot to be said about wasting your time
I don't really care as long as someday you're mine
I don't know what I want
But I wish I knew about love

Why do today what you can do tomorrow
Why do today what you can do tomorrow

So come with me and we'll waste a day
Somewhere warm, somewhere far away
So vote for me, it really isn't that complex
My politics are of laziness

There's alot to be said about wasting your time
I don't really care as long as someday you're mine
I don't know what I want
But I wish I knew about love

Why do today what you can do tomorrow
Why do today what you can do tomorrow

So come with me and we'll waste a day
Somewhere warm and somewhere far away

Why is it that procrastinating is so appealing? I don't think it's necessarily because we are lazy. Perhaps it is due to today's overdriven, overscheduled, get-it-now kind of culture. Somehow, even with the aid of such powerful technology at our fingertips, we're all busier than ever. And we need some kind of release from that... just put it all off, if only for a little while. Hence, doing nothing but watching marathons of House Hunters, playing with the Wii, or perhaps just staring blankly out the window.

I don't think I need to mention that the reason I am even writing this post to begin with is because I am procrastinating.

2 comments:

Benjamin Melançon said...

But you wrote the post! And finished it! You have let down your fellow procrastinators...

Stacey Corbin said...

But I *thought* about writing it for a long time, before I actually did... that's got to count for something?